First, internships are crucial while in college. Not just because it looks good on a resume, but it teaches you real life lessons that can and will be applied to your future career. Unlike some of the classes we’re required to take as students, getting an internship in your field of interest will expose you to new experiences and people you wouldn’t meet otherwise. Take advantage of internships in college while you can and get experience early on.
Second, if you like sports, dream of a career in sports or marketing, and have another year to spend as a student at the University of Oregon, apply to be a Marketing and Promotions Intern for the University of Oregon Athletic Department! If you haven’t read my previous blog posts and don’t know who I am, I’m one of the current interns for the Oregon Athletic Department. As bittersweet as it is for me to leave this internship, which has by far been the best college experience and internship I could have asked for, I’m excited to announce that they’re looking for another group of interns to teach.
Coming into this internship, I knew very little about marketing. All I had was a passion for sports (and the Ducks) and a little experience with PhotoShop and InDesign, only because someone in the Journalism School thought that those skills could benefit me in the long-run, although I didn’t believe them at the time. My point is: I came into the internship with little knowledge and am leaving with more experience, skills, friends, and memories than I ever thought I would gain from a college internship.
The following are 10 reasons why you NEED to apply for this internship:
- You learn the ins and outs of Photoshop.
- You get to make the always-exciting schedule cards AND trading cards.
- You get to hang out with “The Duck” on a regular basis.
- You get to create your own marketing plan for different athletics.
- You get to come up with new promotions and watch contestants demonstrate your creative ideas in front of thousands of people.
- You get to wear khaki pants.
- You get credentials and wear a headset, making you look like a big deal.
- Your work gets published on Goducks.com.
- You get to share an office with the creative genius behind the Oregon posters, the braniacks who run Goducks.com and the masterminds behind Oregon marketing.
- You get to help strengthen the Oregon brand.
There are a few samples of the work that I have created throughout this internship under “My E-Portfolio” under “Professional Work” on this blog site.
If anyone has further questions about this internship, don’t hesitate to comment on this post or tweet at me @mclarey and I will answer any questions! Deadline for the application is FRIDAY, APRIL 13 at 5:00 in the Casanova Center!